Monday, March 5, 2018

Irish Butterfly Effect

May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun,
And find your shoulder to light on,
To bring you luck, happiness and riches,
Today, tomorrow and beyond.
-Irish blessing


When I was in elementary school - 5th grade art class, if memory serves - I created the painting shown in the above photo. Aside perhaps from any refrigerator art, it is the only true artistic piece I have ever painted in my life. Although never giving an official title, I have dubbed it over the years as, “Irish Butterfly Effect.” At various points of its existence, I have been indifferent toward it, shown contempt for it, and, eventually, fully appreciative and embracing of it. Again if I recall correctly, the green/orange color scheme was a random choice in honor of my Irish heritage…yet quite oblivious at the time of the historical association, and significance, of blue with Ireland! Moreover, I likewise did not know in my youth, and only until more recently, the importance of the butterfly in Irish (and Celtic) culture, history, and mythology.

Thus, I extend to you the blessing above, and defer to the links below.

Dealan-Dé: The Butterfly in Irish Mythology

The Wooing of Etain: An Irish Tale of Love, Loss, and Jealousy



©2018 Steve Sagarra

No comments:

Post a Comment